About Us
& Our School


Nome, ND

The Nome Schoolhouse was built in 1916 and the gym added in 1949. Many children, teachers and parents went through these halls sharing years and years of memories.  With the general decline of rural population in North Dakota, the enrollment at the school became smaller and smaller. As a result, the high school was closed in 1966 and the elementary school in 1970. The pupils were sent to Fingal, Enderlin and Kathryn schools. The school building was sold to Jack Culp who raised Percheron horses and used the school for storage.  The school district dissolved in 1972. After several owners and many years Teresa and Chris of Shepherd Industries, LLC purchased the building and surrounding land in 2018 with plans to restore it for use as a Fiber Arts Retreat Center

Your Hosts

Chris Armbrust & Teresa Perleberg

Dakota Fiber Mill, Kindred was founded by Chris Armbrust. The only full service fiber processing mill in ND, has been making yarn and roving from sheep, alpaca, goat, camel, Bison etc etc since 2010. A collaboration with 4 NDSU engineering students brought a felting machine to the mill in 2017, and all waste and short fibers are felted into a variety of items. We are excited to move into the original gymnasium. The mill also has a line of yarn called Dakota Spun. Which will be expanded and available soon online.
Bear Creek Felting founded by Teresa Perleberg has been in business since 2008. Teresa designs and sculpts 3D needle felted sculptures using the wool from her flock of sheep. She has also designed DIY Needle Felting Kits that include instructions and all the materials to help others learn how to Needle Felt. In 2017 Teresa Opened an online Needle Felting Academy where members have access to a full library of Needle Felting courses and personal help from Teresa. In 2017 Teresa and Chris developed the Bear Creek Felting Pillow, a natural needle felting work-surface. Teresa is also a shepherd to 100+ sheep in Fort Ransom, ND.
Teresa and Chris have brought their businesses together and formed Shepherd Industries, LLC. They purchased the Nome School and are currently renovating it to house their current businesses, with plans of a retail store, classrooms, fiber animals on site, Bed & Breakfast rooms, in house chef and Event Center. A beautiful setting for retreats, weddings, graduations, reunions and a relaxing place to get away. Follow their adventure on Facebook and EweTube to watch it unfold.

In the News 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required